XVA won’t start after successful import

I converted a physical machine (Windows XP) successfully & imported to my XenServer with XenConvert. The import appears to be successful. However, when I start the machine, all I get is a black console screen with the following info:

Citrix XenServer
http://www.citrix.com
cirrus-compatible VGA is detected

Processor 1: Xen(R) Virtual CPU
XS Virtual IDE Controller Hard Drive (73GB)
XS Virtual ATAPI-4 CD-Rom/DVD-Rom

Boot device: Hard Drive – success.

Some licensed legacy application was running on this machine and we needed to eliminate any physical PC in Datacenter.
Else there was no need to import XP rather would have built new one.
Well after repeated reboot no success with the VM, searching the forum someone suggested to fix boot sector with Windows XP repair disk.
The iso of existing XP-SP3 didn’t offer repair screen since the original install didn’t match the iso file.

SystemRescueCd-x86-2.5.1 iso came handy, booted from this gentoo based linux distro and fixed the boot sector with “ntfsfix”.
Disconnected the iso and voila the VM booted successfully.

So far only the vm booted successfully, but any geek would guess that due to HAL changes between the physical and virtual, XP ends up in re-activation process.
Without network the VM cannot connect to internet.. how will i fix this.
look out for next blog post… 🙂

A stuck and hang VM on Xenserver

Needed to upgrade the XenServer (v6.0) host memory, while shutting down the VM’s running on the host, i encountered, two of windows x64 guests stuck and hung while shutting down.
When attempted to force shutdown, it complained that “Another operation involving the object is currently in progress “

Goggling for the error found the following link which fixed the issue:
here and here

Here’s quote from one of the post that finally fix it for me (you need to login to server’s shell to execute the below command) :
1 – “xe vm-list” to get the uuid of the VM that is hung
2 – “list_domains” to list the domain uuid’s so you can determinethe domain # of the VM above by matching the uuids from this output with

the uuid for your VM from the previous command.
3 – “/opt/xensource/debug/destroy_domain -domid XX” where XX is the domain number from the previous command
4 – “xe vm-reboot uuid=XXXX –force” where XXXX is the uuid from the first vm-list command for your VM. (name-label may work but didn’t work this time for me so I used the uuid)

after following the above instructions almost worked but VM’s were still stuck however, adding a “xe-toolstack-restart” at the end took care of the problem.